STEPS TO ADVOCACY:
Learning from the 2020 Lagos Wetland Protection Campaign
Written by Oghenetega Ogodo
For Lagos Urban Development Initiative & Lagos Wetlands Advocacy Group
Supported by Heinrich Böll Stiftung
The 10-steps are based on our experience as an organisation on this project. In designing the campaign, these are some of the takeaways from executing the campaign.
Step 1- Identify the problem(s)
- Identify the problem and build a case based on past events that have influenced the current situation. (Check news reports, academic articles, or journals as a reference for information)
Step 2- Identify a clear vision
- Clearly state the vision you need to achieve to start the process for change on the issue. (The vision represents a scenario of what your campaign is capable of achieving.)
Step 3- Outline the objectives
- How do you get the desired outcomes for the campaign? Think about the steps to take to achieve the details of your vision. Simply put, outline your objectives.
Step 4- Identify specific groups for the project
- Identify target groups and specific objectives to achieve for each target group
Note: You can break down your vision towards the different target groups in your campaign
GUIDELINES TO ADVOCATING FOR TARGET GROUPS
Step 5- Research organisations to work with
- Begin to identify organisations that can partner on this campaign, send out emails that explain the objectives and expectations for partners.
Step 6- Brainstorm with your team on the next steps
- As you begin to expand the team, organise a brainstorming session. Focus on outlining the specific objectives and action steps to take for each target group (Possibly an event or workshop).
Step 7- Create a work plan, scope, and teams
- Divide your team into sub-teams and create a work plan for each group to strictly manage (a production calendar will also be helpful for the design team).
Step 8- Invite relevant stakeholders
- Draft a letter for all guests, work closely with the community groups to ensure you are working within their guidelines.
Step 9- Create a budget
- Account for money spent and create a report on all the events through the campaign.
Step 10- Keep the conversation going
- Find a way to ensure continuity amongst your target audience and maintain connection with the network that has now been established.